The plant-based meat market is growing at a quick pace with the recent movement of veganism or vegetarianism. A shift to plant-based meat offers health benefits such as decrease in the risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, cholesterol, and inflammation. Additionally, increasing environmental consciousness has also triggered a shift from animal farming.
Among various factors that drive the growth of the plant-based meat industry, environmental benefits, and aspiration among consumers to switch to a healthy lifestyle is increasing. At present, there is significant expansion of the product line among companies in this sector and hence, the market is at the outset of a breakthrough in the sector. ESG efforts at this time could drive the market towards positive change by creating a huge impact on the environment and help in creating holistic social welfare.
Compared to the conventional meat industry, the plant-based meat industry contributes positively to environmental consciousness as this industry emits 20% - 90% lower emissions than the conventional meat industry. Additionally, this industry does not contribute to intensive water consumption or environmental degradation of water in terms of eutrophication as compared to animal farming. Additionally, excretion from the animal husbandry is hardly treated before its released into the environment, which is not the case in the plant-based meat industry.
Companies offering plant-based meat solve the above problems and additionally create investment opportunities to enhance the market size of this industry. A study conducted by Lux Research revealed that by 2054, the market will constitute one third of the meat market globally. Plant-based meat products are an environmentally friendly option compared to conventional meat, as they consume fewer natural resources despite packing the same amount of nutrition offered by conventional meat. Thus, this market remains attractive to environmentally conscious consumers.
Since the Covid-19 pandemic, there has been significant disruption in conventional meat supply chains, thus creating opportunities for the plant-based meat market to gain traction.
In 2021, the global plant-based meat market was valued at 5.06 billion and it is further expected to grow at a CAGR rate of 19.3% between 2021 and 2030. However, concerns regarding the stagnancy of the market growth are being speculated. A study conducted by The Plant Based Foods Association, The Good Food Institute and SPINS revealed that the sales remained flat in 2021 when compared to 2020 at 1.4 billion dollars in sales. Considering the novelty of the sector, the lower sales can be considered as temporary and based on our research, this sector is perceived to have great potential in the future.
• Glanbia PLC
• The Bountiful Company
• Macro-economic and ESG-variable analysis of the industry, including regulatory, policy, and innovation landscape
• Key insights on infrastructure developments and ESG issues affecting the theme
• Identify key initiatives and challenges within the industry
• Identify ESG leaders within the industry
• Understand key initiatives and the impact of companies within the sector to fuel an informed decision-making process
• Analysis of industry activities based on multi-media sources, including significant controversies and market sentiment
• Identifying: Policies & Regulations, Environmental Opportunities and Social risks impacting the Market globally.
• Understanding key risks and opportunities in the plant-based meat industry.
• Obtaining a clear understanding of the company’s products and identifying relevant investment opportunities.
GET A FREE DEMO
This Free Demo includes an overview of our proprietary ESG dashboard with industry & company benchmarking data, country performance, technological innovations, market estimates & forecasts. See for yourself!